Ahhh the hunt for the perfect denim short.
It feels like a never-ending quest sometimes doesn’t it. Denim shorts are almost always on my personal styling client’s shopping lists, but often prove to be one of the things they struggle with the most.
Most of us (especially those over 40) don’t necessarily want the “mom” shorts, but we also don’t want something too short, too torn, too tight, too long, too much pocket hanging out from under the leg (IYKYK), the list goes on!
We just want a pair of shorts we can rock in summer to the beach, or park or on play dates, but feel dressy enough to wear with a linen shirt out for coffee, or to daycare/school pickup without looking too sloppy.
Sounds familiar? Well the GOOD news is, I think I’ve found a few pairs that fit the bill for the ‘perfect’ denim short. Here are a couple of the main things I look for when hunting down the perfect denim short, either for me, or my clients;
1. Look for a slightly WIDER LEG. The wider the leg of the short, the slimmer your leg looks coming out of it
2. SIZE UP. I often find denim shorts sit just that little bit better if you go up a size, no matter what your size.
3. A MID to HIGH RISE. is often more flattering than a really low pair of denim shorts. They feel more dressier, and also help me keep the mum tum in 😉
4. Play with STRETCH fabrics. There are so many amazing denim fabrics with heaps of stretch in them nowadays, so use that to your advantage. Stretch denim shorts will often also have a drawstring waist, which means you can adapt the fit to your body, rather than you having to fit into the perfect pair.
4. If you really can’t find a pair, MAKE YOUR OWN. I’ve been know to cut off an old pair of jeans i like the fit of to make my own shorts. This way you get to pick the length, and you know they fit! Just make sure you’re using a pair of wider-fit jeans, it won’t work so well with a skinny leg.
I’ve personally road-tested most of these too (pre, durning and post pregnancy). So here are a few of my favourite pairs, and what to be on the lookout for when shopping for the perfect pair of denim shorts.
Now don’t be put off by the Gorgeous Young Thing in the photos online, these are the shorts I’m wearing in the photo and they are seriously good! They are on high rotation in my summer wardrobe atm.
I sized up to a 14 in these (I’m usually a 12) to get extra length, but also I like my denim shorts to sit lower on my hips. These shorts feel long enough for me (I’m 175cm tall) but not to “mummsy” length. There is enough distressing on them, but they don’t look like they are going to fall apart any second. They are a ‘traditional” denim, so not a whole bunch of stretch, but like jeans, they will give a little.
- high waisted
- longer leg
- traditional denim
- several colours available
So you know how I was talking about taking your fave fit of jeans and cutting them off? Well that’s exactly what owner/designer of Feather & Noise, Ali, did with these shorts! She took their best-selling jeans style and literally cut them off!
I have to admit, I was hesitant about these shorts to start with, I mean EVERYTHING looks amazing on Ali and her girls at Feather & Noise, so it wasn’t until I saw an insta video of the gorgeous Karina Bruce, (a gorgeous Friend of F&N) who is a size 14/16 wearing them, that I knew they’d be AMAZING! (watch this insta video to see her in them).
The F&N team suggest sizing down, but because I usually size UP in a short, I stuck with my usual 12 and they are perfect!
- slightly longer length
- 100% cotton (a little bit of stretch)
- high waisted
- no distressing
- raw edge finish
Again, don’t pay so much attention to the gorgeous gal in the website images, head in store and give these a go yourself! I wore these throughout my pregnancy (in a size 16 to fit under the bump) and they were awesome!
What the images don’t show you, is that the hem folds down, giving them just a little more length on the leg, but in a good goldlocks (not too long, not too short) kinda way.
The other awesome thing about these shorts is the fabric, its Just Jeans famous “amaze” fabric. It’s a combination jersey and denim, making it super-soft and stretchy, its the best fabric to wear! Add a drawstring to the shorts and you’ve got an adjustable fit if you struggle to get the waist right on denim shorts.
- “AMAZE” jersey/denim fabric
- drawstring waist
- roll hem up or down
So there are three of my top picks when it comes to denim shorts. I own all three of these (and in three different sizes haha!) and am really happy with all three. I have put HEAPS of my clients in both the Decjuba and Just Jeans pairs, and have certainly recommended the Feather & Noise pair many-a-time too.
Three of my fave pairs, just take your pick as to which style is your fave. I’ve also put together a list of some other highly commended styles that could be worth a try too…
I hope that helps give you a little more guidance when it comes to finding the perfect pair of denim shorts! let me know how you go!
Until Next Time, In Love & Style Always,